Wednesday, February 9, 2011

dreams

Picasso's Le Rêve or "The Dream"

Tonight I watched a special feature on the Inception dvd that was a documentary about dreams put on by movie actor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I found the information incredibly interesting, especially when they described the different types of dreams. One particular type, lucid dreams - where you control what you do in the dream, intrigued me. Tonight before I go to sleep I will definitely try to think about controlling whatever dream I have. I had friends telling me about how they told themselves they should fly and they just started flying! How cool is that? Anyway, in honor of this topic, I wanted to post some of my favorite quotes and poems about dreams. Feel free to share any that you have as well!


A Dream Within a Dream
Edgar Allen Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?



We live, as we dream - alone
- Joseph Conrad
"Heart of Darkness"


People say that your dreams
Are the only things that save you
Come on baby, in our dreams
We can live our misbehavior

- Arcade Fire
"Rebellion (Lies)"


It is possible to believe that all the past is but the beginning of a beginning, and that all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn. It is possible to believe that all the human mind has ever accomplished is but the dream before the awakening.
- H.G. Wells


That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed.
- Neil Gaiman
"The Wake"

No comments:

Post a Comment