Thursday, August 11, 2011

quiche lorraine


Tried something new for dinner the other day: quiche. This is something I've only ever had once in my life, but it was so good I had to try baking it myself. The neat thing about quiche is that there are so many ingredients you can use to make a different meal each time you make it. I choose to go with the most traditional version, known as quiche lorraine. To my surprise, it actually turned out quite nice. I was a bit worried about it more than anything else I've made recently (probably because of the strangeness of the actual ingredients). But anyway, as I discovered, quiche is super easy to make and something I will definitely continue cooking in the future. It's great for any meal of the day! I served it with a spinach, strawberry, onion, and avocado salad (favorite salad ingredients by far) in order to add another course to the dinner. Delicious. Click the jump to get the recipe!


First, fry up some bacon (enough to be crumbled across the bottom of your pie crust - so about 6 pieces approximately) and cook until crisp. Then when cooled off, crumble bacon over a 9" frozen pie crust (left at room temperature - no need to thaw it out!). Then beat 4 large eggs in a bowl. Add one 1/2 can of evaporated milk and 1 cup of 2% low fat milk (mine was organic as well, but this part in mainly to add a healthy aspect to the entree...you can also just use 2 cups of half and half). Next, add to the milk and eggs 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss cheese, as well as salt and pepper. Pour mixture over the pie crust. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 35 min. (or until the eggs are fully baked and not watery and the crust is light brown - be sure to cut into the quiche before serving the check if it's done). Let sit for about 10 min. after taking it out of the oven to let it settle and cool off a bit. I know mine looks a bit burnt, but trust me, it wasn't...and it tasted great. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment