Tuesday, January 25, 2011

contemporary craftiness


Today was a craft day for me. A friend of mine, Sam, had made this really awesome splatter painting that he showed me. I, naturally, wanted one of my own and enlisted his help to create it.

So pretty much, we just put some tarps in the garage, got some paint, and started frantically whippin' some paintbrushes around all over this piece of canvas. Simple enough right, not to mention extremely fun. Didn't turn out too shabby either in my opinion. Plus, kept the garage and ourselves paint-free (Sam had a cow apron which protected him while I wore a plastic bag, sadly he looked a lot cooler than I did).

Since I don't think of myself as a great painter, this was a good way to paint something that was pretty much guaranteed to turn out somewhat decent. I think it will make a great accent on a dorm room wall someday. And I secretly hope that someone will see it and say "It says so much, while saying so little" because I just really like it when people say that about art, it amuses me.

Anyway, click the jump for more pictures and a crafty surprise!


Ta-da!
I mean, why not build a paint tower?


Sadness.


If at first you don't succeed, try try again.



Awesome.


Lovin' my dope camera angles.


Yeah, I totally did not go
"hey take a picture of me with the tower so it looks like I helped build it"
...you can't fake that kind of concentration.


...and the painting that started it all.
Sam insisted on readers being able to see it to compare.
His is quite good, if I do say so myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment