Sunday, January 16, 2011

everything is illuminated


Last summer, my good friend, Kelsey, recommended the book Everything is Illuminated. I can honestly say that this is my favorite book I've read to date. Since I don't want to spoil too much, I'll just summarize with some of my favorite things about it, (so y'all can read it and enjoy too!)

In its most basic terms, it is the story of a young Jewish man's journey to discover the past. However, the format that Foer uses is genius. The main story is told in broken English by the Ukrainian tour guide, which results in some of the most hilarious reading. However, mixed in to the funny tale of the present day, there is also a story focused on the past. It was this tale in the end that stole my heart. It described life, sadness, and beauty in such a different but brilliant way. By the end of the book I had laughed countless times, but also cried a few as well.

Another sign that this is a great piece of literature is the fact that I started highlighting passages and quotes as I read. This I had never done with anything I had read for pleasure before. There are so many beautifully deep lines that Foer writes, I could fill a whole post with them! However, I won't. But I will drop a few in here and there, no worries.

The point is, if you're looking for a quick read, but want a book with substance and depth...Everything is Illuminated is a premium choice. I've reread it several times and something new hits me each experience. This is a novel definitely worth buying.

And to end with the quote that first inspired my to get my highlighter out:
I do not think that there are any limits to how excellent we could make life seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment